My Mom Did Not Raise a Writer (But I'm doing my best)

I have discovered a new found respect for screenwriters. 

While I attempted to think of any dialogue for a nice, lighthearted, normal conversation, every statement I thought of was nothing above absolutely mundane. Surely there is some kind of magic used when writing such interesting and engaging exchanges between characters. I'm not sure how trying to write a script resulted in me simultaneously forgetting how humans communicate with one another, but it happened. Nonetheless, I must conjure the best boring conversation I can. But now, I have found a reason to do it on purpose.

Before I complete my storyboard for my film, I created this script of the dialogue between my main character, Halley, and her brother, and the dialogue composed in the voice recording. I plan to draw my shots accordingly to show the first exchange with a shot/counter-shot and possibly some cutaways. The second exchange will be a constant noise in the background as a diegetic sound, being played from a computer aboard the ship. 


Upon first skimming this conversation one might think to themselves, wow! This is so monotonous. And that person is absolutely correct.

The first scene of the film is going to be overly pleasant, cozy, and normal; completely dull on purpose, almost to the point of it being unrealistic (foreshadowing!). This will make a big contrast with the twist that comes when everything starts to glitch. From there on out, the dialogue also consequently shifts to something more loud and aggressive.




The continuation shows the beginning of the twist, as there is a misunderstanding in the characters in what is part of each of their reality. There will then be a transition to the space ship.


This last part of the script is the message from the mother via a voice recording that Halley stores on the ship. This gives further context to the story but nothing too explicitly stated as it is implicit through her explanation of what is going on on earth that it is not doing so great. This explains Halley's position in space overall, and why she would go into a virtual reality setting to see her family.


I am pretty happy with plot aspects that I got accomplished through my current version of the script, but as production draws near, there may be some changes to adjust to the time limitation. And, finally, a big salute to screenwriters! Developing a story through dialogue is just as essential as it is to develop it visually, different types of art to create the same goal of effective communication of an idea or feeling. 

Comments