An Ode to Old Junk

I had taken a trip to the thrift store recently; a land of used wedding dresses, abandoned class t-shirts, and thankfully for my purpose, broken machines. 

In this blog posting, I had discussed my search for useless objects to help create an ideal mise-en-scene with pieces of old technology for props. I had a successful haul, bringing home a broken alarm clock radio and an old audio transmitter.



Because the audio transmitter had no longer been working, I took it apart to incorporate the hardware on the back wall of the room in the space ship. 

The alarm clock had many interactive buttons and such so I can incorporate its use in the frantic scene in which Halley is attempting 

to fix the computer. The radio also is shown in the video operating. I could use the altering static sound during that sequence as well to emphasize the franticness and stress of the situation.

As filming time draws nearer, I am perfecting and putting all the pieces of the art direction together to make the environment as believable as possible in this technological atmosphere as it is an essential part of creating a science fiction film


Comments