Going Through Changes !

(Sorry to any fans of Big Mouth that had the theme song playing in their heads cause of the title)




As you can tell from my blog posts up to now, I have been quite discouraged with this project. I was so enveloped in dwelling on how the project could have been then working on how to move forward. 

Thankfully, we had a meeting with our teacher today to discuss our project and gained a lot of clarity about where we wanted to go with it from here on out!




One of the changes we had to make was to the focus of the film. We decided to concentrate more on the sibling dynamic. We will be doing this by having the older sibling, probably to be played by Joey (not sure about his neon green hair but we will figure it out), reflecting on their relationship due to some sort of transition like the younger sibling going to college.

Now for the question, how are we going to film this thing?

Sophie, our wonderful friend, is a creative filmmaker herself trapped in her house. And with that, I think it is safe to assume she's bored. So, we talked to her, and she would be able to film her brother for us!


Essentially, we will be storyboarding the film and taking certain shots at different angles at Joey's house. Then, we will be sending these to Sophie and she will record her brother in these same shots. We will be using these shots by animating Sophie's brother into the film through the process of rotoscoping. Typically, rotoscoping tries to capture the person and the movement as realistically as possible, but I thought it would be even cooler to not do that. The movement will be captured yes, but possibly through something visually different like contour line or even blind contour would be cool.


Eyes Blinking GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
a cool rotoscoping gif made by STRING!!!! HOW COOL!!!

I have actually had experience with rougher rotoscoping in the past with a music video I had created for my best friend's 15th birthday and another music video I had created for class in the AS Level. Sadly, I have since lost my friend's birthday video but I do have the music video snippet!



Additionally, inspired by a short film called Stomping Grounds by one of my favorite short film directors, Bertie Gilbert, I thought it would be cool to do the transitions through time using interesting graphic matches. I thought this could be specifically done through objects that the older sibling would be packing away for the younger one. 

I think that is all the updates for now! I am excited to get this project up and running again! And, I think focusing on the sibling dynamic would be interesting for Joey and me as we self-reflect on our own relationships with our siblings which are drastically different.

P.S. I also updated this week's song to UUU - Field Medic! It's a great song!

Comments