Assorted Updates

Animation will always be one of my true loves. The ability to combine 2D drawing as well as filmmaking is absolutely beautiful and I adore it. And since I love it, I gotta be honest with it. Making it is: THE WORST.



At first I thought, tracing? This should be easy... until my artist’s urges kick in and I force myself to draw every crease and line that my eye detects. It's as if someone asked for a stick figure and my brain decides to recreate the Mona Lisa. There is no reason for me to fully render a drawing that will show up for 0.03 seconds, but here I am, struggling not to do that.


my wrists hurt

Here are some of my favorite animations I have created thus far!









    


I've also been making progress little by little on the website and the postcard! Here are some in detail thoughts of those.

♡ OVERALL DESIGN CHOICES 


Joey had created this color palette for the branding of our film!
I think overall this color combination looks relaxed and sincere :-)

The Color Psychology/Meaning of the colors:

BROWN - MATURITY (represents Charlie, what Marco strives for) // warmth, comfort, security as well as loneliness and sadness (the sort of duality the feeling of alcohol gives Charlie when he drinks it in the film)

DARK BLUE / LIGHT BLUE - DEPENDABILITY (Relationship between the siblings) // CALMING (Relaxed tone of the film)

ORANGE/YELLOW COLOR - IMMATURITY, INNOCENCE (represents Marco)

TEAL - encourages a calm, reflective mood (Relaxed Tone of the Film) 

I am also obsessed with handwritten type fonts because I think it makes branding seem more down to earth, genuine, and human so I've been working on developing a font that I can write in.








♡ POSTCARD UPDATES 

For the postcard, I have decided to go with the illustrative style rather than photoshop! I attempted to create something like a photorealistic collage, but I did not enjoy how it was looking while I was making it, so I changed it last minute as I do with most things.

I had already decided to include some frames from the rotoscope animations in the front art because I felt that the animation aspect is something that makes this film unique and would encourage people to see the film; therefore a visual of that is essential to the postcard!

I was also inspired by this album cover I'm obsessed with, Revolver by the Beatles.



I love how there is a combination of drawings with different scales and perspectives to create such an intriguing design. It almost has a sort of horror vacui aspect to it.

And, as the postcard is a way to market the film, there has to be information on it that helps it do that. The visual draws them in, and the information on it seals the deal.




♥LIST OF INFORMATION TO INCLUDE

WEBSITE
(POSSIBLY THROUGH A QR CODE)

WHERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
(INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER WOULD BE THE BEST FOR OUR TARGET AUDIENCE OF AGES AROUND 16-24)

FILM FESTIVAL SELECTION / AWARDS

I know I said in a blog post eons ago that I wanted to make it so that it could be interactive in a sense, but I no longer think that that idea works well with our current film, especially because we don't really have that dog plush aspect anymore.





And, in a way, I think that making an appealing front while also putting a lot of ways to market the film on the postcard is just as effective as the ideas we had before. The reason I wanted to make the postcard interactive was to give it more value, make this simple piece of paper less disposable and get people's attention with it so they may feel a desire to watch our film. What is more effective than creating a beautifully illustrated image to make someone wanna keep it with them?


♡ WEBSITE UPDATES 

I decided to go with just the film marketing website template from Wix (one of my options from a former blog post).

I will be illustrating most of the visual components of the website and creating lots of gifs for it to represent the animation/rotoscoping aspect of the film.



Comments