Thanks, Dad

On my on-going endeavor to experiment with whatever special effects I could accomplish and incorporate in my Sci-fi film opening, I was running ideas across my father of certain effects I had wished to accomplish. Soon after, he had approached me with a small zipped up container.

Inside this little box were small, interchangeable camera lenses for my phone! (the device I'll be filming on!)

I had tested each of the 11 lenses in the box and immediately thought of ways to utilize a couple of them for my film.








The first few that I tried out were the color filters! In case I needed an entire scene to be completely enveloped in a color without the use of certain color lighting, these lenses would be perfect. Especially in certain cases where I need a certain emotional atmosphere or even attempt to show the temperature of a room, these lenses will definitely come in handy to give off a sense of tone.




The next lens was the kaleidoscope lens. Although at first it seems like more of a fun novelty photobooth filter, after further consideration of in which context this effect can be used, I came to see it in a sort of scene with a technological glitch of some sort; perhaps to portray the mental and physical strain of someone. Even something that looks silly at first glance when applied in the right way can create a serious emotion.




The starburst lens manipulates light in order to create a sort of star shape radiating from them. I am actually quite reluctant to apply this one in fear of making something look too cheesy. However, I may find some use when trying to create scenes of vast space to make lights appear like actual stars with apparent glares from them.





The last few lenses are the zoom, wide angle, and macro lenses. These can mainly come in handy when my phone's camera may come practically incompetent to accomplish a certain shot. 

I am very excited to incorporate the use of these effects in the film and hope I can apply them in a way that is both creative and effective to get a certain mood across. And for my father who supports my creative aspirations to make the best works of art I possibly could, I'm sure he'd be glad to know that his little devices came to good use.

Comments