Fiction, But Make it Scientific

Although Sci-fi can defy an infinite amount of universal laws from every type of science, my thirst for any sort of realistic application of science must be quenched through some aspect of my film. As I plan for my film to be set in outer space, I studied the effects of a long term residence there, and what activities people tend to participate in. 

Effects on a person's physical and biological state are one of the major consequences of living beyond the Earth. Muscle and bone mass, due to the difference in gravity, may lose up to 1% of its density every month. But that's not all! Don't forget the potential vision problems, a greater risk of osteoporosis, cardiovascular issues, the inefficiency of regular medication, malnutrition, and maybe, just maybe... kidney stones! 

To combat these issues, aside from extensive training and body conditioning beforehand, astronauts are required to go through extensive health checks, perform extensive exercise routines, and take supplements while on board. And for my very own space explorer, he/she will most likely be depicted having to do these monotonous chores in the film to keep themselves, well, alive.

Another problem that my character will face is sleep deprivation. If I have trouble falling asleep on Earth, laying on my comfortable mattress in my cozy home, I can not imagine how this would be in the cold and empty landscape of space. I can apply this fact to the appearance of my main character. The lack of sleep and limited access to sunlight would give my astronaut a gorgeous set of dark bags under the eyes and ghostly skin with an abnormal loss of coloration. 

And of course, as isolation tends to do, long term space travel can make one extremely depressed. In preparation for this, the spacecraft my character resides in may be saturated with items for entertainment or maybe even a form of artificial intelligence for he/she to communicate with. Additionally, I will be sure throughout the opening to avoid making anything too cheerful.

I have learned to leave our precious planet comes with a cost, and as much as I'd like to completely ignore these harmful effects and show a fun party ship with my main character being as healthy and happy as they could ever be on Earth, that is often not the case.

SOURCES:

1. Hollingham, R. (2014, May 06). Future - The effects of space travel on the human body. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140506-space-trips-bad-for-your-health

2. Mars, K. (2016, March 30). The Human Body in Space. Retrieved from https://www.nasa.gov/hrp/bodyinspace

Comments